Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Ideas towards CALL

I have been learning English for ten years. In the first few years, all the materials I had in language learning are books or English newspapers, and the most advanced equipment is a radio. Not until in university did I start to use computer every so often in my language learning.
A computer plus internet are such an amazing combination of language learning tools. This kind of new technology gives us an easy access to all varieties of materials in language learning, as well as some programs are designed for language practice, so that the learners could study the language all by their own.

However, it is not always the case that with the help of new technology, learners would definitely make great progress in language learning. It depends how the learners use this tools.
Take me for an example, sometimes I go to the internet to look for useful information for my study. However, it seems that most of the time I forget my initial purpose and end up doing something with entertainment. Therefore, we could see that the most important thing is to guide learners to use new technology in a proper way.

I haven’t been a teacher yet. However as a student, I could see that new technology has already ignited a revolution in the education field. With the help of new technology, teachers are able to make the class into a fun place for learning. Students are easily getting access to much more knowledge and information than they used to.

Every coin has two sides. I will try to explore the positive side of CALL as much as possible and to avoid the negative side.

1 comment:

  1. We are so lucky that CALL sofeware and internet can assist us in learning nowadays. And I find that students enjoy learning in this way. They like teacher using IT in lessons and they like playing computer games. Just like Iris said, every icon has two effect. To enhance the positive effect, teacher can offer more language games for children to play in or after lessons.

    ReplyDelete